The Film Industry Legend ‘Amitabh Bachchan‘ changed his name. Yes you read it right. After appearing with his original name ‘Amitabh Srivastav‘ in Saat Hindustani, his first film that turned out to be miserably unsuccessful, Amitabh decided to make some changes to his name.
In India, it’s common for people to change their names for various reasons. It might be due to numerology, astrology or luck factor. Some people change their name as they do not like their birth names or get inspired or love to be called by some other name. So, if you are 18/18(+) of age and want to change your name then you must know the name change procedure. All you need to follow 3 basic steps which are needed to be done for authorizing the name change procedure:
Now lets discuss the above illustrated Steps in Detail to understand Name Change Procedure in India
Step 1: Affidavit of Change of Name
For the Name Change Procedure, first you need to make an affidavit for change of your name in local Notary in the District Court of your City. The current name, the new name and the reason for name change has to be given in the affidavit along with your personal details such as your Father’s/Husband’s name, residential address etc.
Below is the Preview of the Format of Name Change Affidavit :
(Click on Image for Zoom View)
You can also create Name Change Affidavit Online by using our service. We will create affidavit on your behalf and deliver to your doorstep. So no need to rush and face the queue and press of people. For more information on Name Change Affidavit click on below link:
Step 2: Newspaper Publication
After completing the step 1, the second step in name change procedure is Newspaper Publication for Change of Name. Publish the Advertisement in two local leading newspaper of the State i.e one in the Regional Language of the native state from where the applicant belong and one in the English leading newspaper and preserve at least 4-5 original copies of the Newspaper.
Important point which must include in the details for Newspaper Publication for Change of Name:
- Old Name
- New Name
- Father’s/Husband Name
- Full Address
- Date on which affidavit is made
- Notary Name who attested the affidavit
Before publishing the name change advertisement in newspaper, always check the content for advertisement and above mention points are correct and accurate. Below are two sample of advertisement in newspaper for change of name :
Step 3: Publication of Name Change in Official Gazette of India
After completing the step 1 and 2, the third and final step in name change procedure is Publication of Change of Name in Gazette of India. Publish Notification in Gazette of India (Central Gazette) by writing the Application along with DD of requisite fee with the list of Documents required.
Prepare and send the following Documents to the Department of Publication for publishing Notification of Change of Name :
- Name Change Affidavit duly Notarized (Original)
- Newspaper Publication (Original)
- Hard Copy of Specimen of Name Change duly filled as per the prescribed Format. Below is the Format of Specimen for your reference:
(Click on Image for Zoom View)
- Soft Copy of Specimen in a Compact Disc (C.D)
In A Soft Copy, from the Format of Specimen remove the Signature and Witness Column and copy the Word File into the C.D
- A Certificate duly signed by the Applicant declaring/stating that the content of hard copy and soft copy that the applicant is providing is similar. Below is the Format of Certificate for your reference:
(Click on Image for Zoom View)
For Govt. employees working with Central Government will be required to submit Deed for change of name in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs 0. M. No. 190016 / 1 / 87-Estt. dated 12/03/1987. In case of Indians who are living abroad, they have to submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.
- A Demand Draft of Rs. 1,100/- (in case of major) and Rs. 1,700/- (in case of Minor) drawn in favor of Controller of Publications, Delhi.
- Two Passport Size Photographs self attested.
- One Self Attested Photo ID Proof.
- Application/Forwarding Letter describing about all the Documents enclosed within the envelope.
“Enclose all the Documents in the Envelope and send it to the Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi – 54”
After following all these steps, Download the Notification from the e-gazette website – http://www.egazette.nic.in/ once they publish it and provide the same to the Department where you want to change your name and that’s it you can freely change your name in all the Documents by showing Gazette Notification.
To know How to Download Name Change Notification, you may refer our this Blog – https://www.edrafter.in/download-name-change-gazette-notification/
POINTS TO REMEMBER WHILE SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS TO GAZETTE OF INDIA
Following are the Points that applicant should keep in mind while following the procedure to get the Name Changed in Central Gazette –
- The Documents that applicant is enclosing should not be older then One Year otherwise it will not be acceptable by the Department of Publication.
- The Documents should be in a prescribed proforma provide by the Department of Publication and the Signatures in Documents should be from Old Name Only.
- Pay the Publication Fee appropriately as fixed by the Department and should be drawn in favor of Controller of Publications, Delhi.
Fee Structure is as follow (subject to change by department w.e.f – 31.3.2017) : –
For Name Change of Minor Child – Rs. 1,700/-
For Name Change of Major/Govt. Employee – Rs. 1,100/-
For Indian Living Abroad – Rs. 3,500/-
- Do not Cut the Newspaper Clipping. Provide the whole page of Newspaper along with the front page of Newspaper.
- Publish the Notification in Central Gazette as the Notification published by the Central Government holds more power and better recognition as compare to the Notification of State Gazette.
Central Gazette is based at Delhi and Full Official Address is – Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54.