Get Your Name Change Affidavit Easily!
How It Works?
Fill Your Details
Review & Make Payment
Delivery of your Affidavit with e-Stamp Paper
Choose Your Affiadavit
What is the eligibility for Changing of Name Legally?
Changing Name is very common in India and can be adopt due to various reasons. The eligibility for Changing of Name is just that the applicant should be of 18 years or above. The Minor applicant can also change his/her name but in that case the Parents need to carry out the process on behalf of the Minor Child.
How to Create Name Change Affidavit?
Follow these Steps:
- Draft the Affidavit by providing the details of the old name and new name.
- Execute the Affidavit on a Stamp Paper of Denomination of Rs. 10/- or as per the prescribed stamp duty as per your state.
- Make the Affidavit attest and sealed by the Notary Public.
You can avail our service as well and we will carry out these steps on behalf of you and will deliver the Affidavit to you at your place. It will save your Time and Money too.
How many types of Name Change Affidavit are there and which one should i avail?
There are different types of Affidavit and Affidavit can be used as per the purpose of applicant:
- Name Change Affidavit – This Affidavit is use to Change Name Legally in all the Documents and also to publish the Notification in Gazette of India.
- Name Change after Marriage – This Affidavit can be use by Lady Applicant seeking for changing their maiden name after marriage and publishing the same in other documents.
- One and the Same Person Affidavit – This Affidavit act as a Multi-Name Affidavit. The Applicant who have different names in the Documents and want to provide the proof that all the names belong to one and the same person in that case the One and the Same person Affidavit can be used and provided.
- Annexure “D” – Annexure D is use for Name Change of Lady Applicant after marriage in the Passports. So, if you wan tto change your maiden name in Passport then you can opt for Annexure “D” Affidavit.
- Annexure “E” – Annexure E is use for Name Change in Passport whether minor change or major but if you want to get your name change in Passport then you have to provide the Annexure E Affidavit to the Department.
To get Annexure D and Annexure E, you can refer our this section – Passport Affidavit | Passport Annexure Online
What is the full process of Changing Name legally in India?
The Process for Changing of Name in India :
- MAKE NAME CHANGE AFFIDAVIT– Make the Name Change Affidavit on a stamp paper and make it Notarized from the Notary public or from the Magistrate. The Details may include in Affidavit are : Old Name, New Name, Address.
Making it Notarize from Notary Public officer will be less time consuming as compare to making it attest from Magistrate. So, it is recommended to get the Name Change Affidavit attest from Notary Public.
- PUBLISH ADVERTISEMENT IN TWO LOCAL NEWSPAPER – Publish the Advertisement in two local leading newspaper of the State. The Newspaper publication must include the details : Old Name, New Name, Full Address, Date of Affidavit, Name of Notary Public (For Married Applicant the Husband’s Name and Date of Marriage is also required in publication).
Provide advertisement in Two Leading Newspapers i.e one in the Regional Language of the native state from where the applicant belong and one in the English leading newspaper and preserve at least 4-5 original copies of the Newspaper.
Sample of Newspaper Publication for Male Applicant:
“I, Amit Singh S/O Shri Hari Singh residing at D- 1, Phase – 2, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, have changed my name to Namit Singh vide Affidavit dated 10-06-2016 sworn before Notary Namit Mehta, Delhi”
Sample of Newspaper Publication for Female Applicant:
“I, Amrita Singh D/O Shri Navjot Singh residing at C- 1, Phase – 2, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, have changed my name to Nimita Singh vide Affidavit dated 10-06-2016 sworn before Notary Namit Mehta, Delhi”
Sample of Newspaper Publication for Married Women:
“I, Neha Sharma married Ajay Singh at (05-03-2016) residing at D- 1, Phase – 2, Vasant Vihar, New Delhi, have changed my name to Sneha Singh vide Affidavit dated 10-06-2016 sworn before Notary Namit Mehta, Delhi”
- PUBLICATION OF CHANGE OF NAME IN GAZETTE OF INDIA – Publish the Notification in the Gazette India about the Name Change and preserve the copy of notification with you and use it at the places where you want to change your name.
Publication in Gazette of India is not mandatory in all the states, it depends upon the State to State, while its mandatory for Government Employees to draft the Name Change Deed and to publish the notification of changing name in Gazette of India.
What is the procedure for publication the Notification in Gazette of India?
Prepare and send the following Documents to the Department of Publication for publishing Notification of Change of Name:
- Name Change Affidavit duly Notarized (Original)
- Newspaper Publication (Original)
- Hard Copy of Specimen of Name Change duly filled as per the prescribed Format. Below is the Format of Specimen for your reference:
- Soft Copy of Specimen in a Compact Disc (C.D)
In A Soft Copy, from the Format of Specimen remove the Signature and Witness Column and copy the Word File into the C.D
- A Certificate duly signed by the Applicant declaring/stating that the content of hard copy and soft copy that the applicant is providing is similar. Below is the Format of Certificate for your reference:
- An Undertaking duly signed by the Applicant showing the old and new name and declaring and undertaking the Statements that they are true and correct to the best for his/her knowledge.
For Govt. employees working with Central Government will be required to submit Deed for change of name in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs 0. M. No. 190016 / 1 / 87-Estt. dated 12/03/1987. In case of Indians who are living abroad, they have to submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.
- A Demand Draft of Rs. 1,100/- in favor of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi – 54.
- Two Passport Size Photographs pasted on a plain paper along with a new name types on it.
- One Self Attested Photo ID Proof.
- Application/Forwarding Letter describing about all the Documents enclosed within the envelope.
“Enclose all the Documents in the Envelope and send it to the Department of Publication”
Note – The enclosed Documents should not be older then one year otherwise it will not be acceptable by the Department of the Publication.
How much time the publication in Gazette take?
It depends upon the Department and on the application of the applicant as well. If the Documents enclosed are correct then it will take less time. Once published, the Notification can also be downloaded online from egazette website – http://egazette.nic.in
Is it mandatory for Lady applicant to publish advertisement in Newspaper and Notification Publication in Gazette for Name Change after Marriage?
No, its not mandatory for Lady Applicant to publish advertisement in Newspaper and Notification in Gazette as well. If the Change is only in surname then there is no need to publish it but if the change is major i.e change in whole name then its important to publish the advertisement in Newspaper and Gazette Notification.
For minor change i.e change in surname after marriage what you have to do is –
STEP 1 – Make an Affidavit for Change of Name after Marriage and make it Notarized.
STEP 2– Update the Information in the other necessary Documents and also in the Local Municipality Department, Children’s School and at other relevant/important place where the information needs to be updated.