What is the Legal Procedure to Change Name in India?
” I wish my name wasn’t Brian because maybe sometimes people would misspell my name and call me Brain. That’s like a free compliment but i got fed up spelling it to everyone”
Have you ever thought like that? Wanna Change your Name? One can change his/her name at anytime and without giving any reason. You are free to adopt any name.
Following is the Legal Procedure to Change Name in India –
STEP 1 – Make a providing few details like Old Name, New Name and make it Attest from Notary Public.
Below is the Preview of the Format of Name Change Affidavit :
(Click on Image for Zoom View)
STEP 2 – Publish Advertisement in 2 reputed Newspaper of your State (One in Hindi and One in English) in a prescribed format.
Have a Look at the Format for Newspaper Publication –
(Click on Image for Zoom View)
STEP 3 – Publish Notification in Gazette of India (Central Gazette) by writing the Application along with DD of requisite fee with the list of Documents required.
Prepare and send the following Documents to the Department of Publication for publishing Notification of Change of Name :
- Name Change Affidavit duly Notarized (Original)
- Newspaper Publication (Original)
- Hard Copy of Specimen of Name Change duly filled as per the prescribed Format. Below is the Format of Specimen for your reference:
- Soft Copy of Specimen in a Compact Disc (C.D)
In A Soft Copy, from the Format of Specimen remove the Signature and Witness Column and copy the Word File into the C.D
- A Certificate duly signed by the Applicant declaring/stating that the content of hard copy and soft copy that the applicant is providing is similar. Below is the Format of Certificate for your reference:
- An Undertaking duly signed by the Applicant showing the old and new name and declaring and undertaking the Statements that they are true and correct to the best for his/her knowledge.
For Govt. employees working with Central Government will be required to submit Deed for change of name in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs 0. M. No. 190016 / 1 / 87-Estt. dated 12/03/1987. In case of Indians who are living abroad, they have to submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.
- A Demand Draft of Rs. 1,100/- (in case of major) and Rs. 1,700/- (in case of Minor) drawn in favor of Controller of Publications, Delhi.
- Two Passport Size Photographs self attested.
- One Self Attested Photo ID Proof.
- Application/Forwarding Letter describing about all the Documents enclosed within the envelope.
“Enclose all the Documents in the Envelope and send it to the Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi – 54”
STEP 4 – After following all these steps,Download the Notification from the e-gazette website – http://www.egazette.nic.in/ once they publish it and provide the same to the Department where you want to change your name and that’s it you can freely change your name in all the Documents by showing Gazette Notification.
POINTS TO REMEMBER WHILE SUBMITTING DOCUMENTS TO GAZETTE OF INDIA
Following are the Points that applicant should keep in mind while following the procedure to get the Name Changed in Central Gazette –
- The Documents that applicant is enclosing should not be older then One Year otherwise it will not be acceptable by the Department of Publication.
- The Documents should be in a prescribed proforma provide by the Department of Publication and the Signatures in Documents should be from Old Name Only.
- Pay the Publication Fee appropriately as fixed by the Department and should be drawn in favor of Controller of Publications, Delhi.
Fee Structure is as follow (subject to change by department w.e.f – 31.3.2017) : –
For Name Change of Minor Child – Rs. 1,700/-
For Name Change of Major/Govt. Employee – Rs. 1,100/-
For Indian Living Abroad – Rs. 3,500/-
- Do not Cut the Newspaper Clipping. Provide the whole page of Newspaper along with the front page of Newspaper.
- Publish the Notification in Central Gazette as the Notification published by the Central Government holds more power and better recognition as compare to the Notification of State Gazette.
Central Gazette is based at Delhi and Full Official Address is – Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54.
We, eDrafter.in have come out with the unique and useful package in which what you just need to do is – Just place your request at our portal and we will provide you full service for Changing your Name till Notification in Gazette of India
To Know more to avail our Package just go through our this section –
All the Best !
Trackbacks and pingbacks
No trackback or pingback available for this article.