Table Of Content
- Is Notarized Rent Agreement valid in Maharashtra?
- Is it Necessary to Register a Rent Agreement in Maharashtra?
- Documents for Rent Agreement Registration in Maharashtra
- How to Register a Rent Agreement online in Maharashtra?
- Frequently Asked Questions
When you plan to live on a lease, it is critical to understand the steps for rent agreement registration. Many rent-related cases are pending in Indian courts that could have been easily resolved had a rent agreement been in place. A rent agreement binds both the landlord and the tenant to the terms and conditions agreed upon. And whether rent agreement needs to be registered in Maharashtra is compulsory or not?
Is Notarized Rent Agreement valid in Maharashtra?
Yes, as already discussed in previous blogs that if you get your document notarized then it becomes valid though getting it executed on the e-stamp paper also makes it valid but there are chances that some of the offices do not accept the document if the notary is not done. The registration of rent agreement in Maharashtra is valid no doubt in that.
Is it Necessary to Register a Rent Agreement in Maharashtra?
The registration of rent agreement in Maharashtra,Section 55 of the Maharashtra Rent Control Act 1999 requires a written agreement to be made and registered in Maharashtra. It is important to note that many states do not require rent agreements to be registered if the rental period is less than 12 months. It is, however, recommended that it be registered.
You can go through our detailed blog on Notarized Rent Agreement vs Registered Rent Agreement to know the difference between these two types of rent agreement.
What documents are required for Rent Agreement Registration in Maharashtra?
The documents required for rent agreement registration in Maharashtra are:
- Aadhaar card of both the parties.
- Two passport size photographs.
- Identity proofs (voter ID, driving license or passport)
How to Register a Rent Agreement online in Maharashtra?
Go through this official website of the Department of Registration & Stamps of Government of Maharashtra, through link https://efilingigr.maharashtra.gov.in/ereg/ in order to register your Rental agreement.
- Step 1: First, Choose the district in which the property is situated on the landing page. Then, create a password and enter the security code. Then, press the ‘Next’ button.
- Step 2: Second, the following procedure requires you to provide property information. After finishing the page, click the ‘Save’ button and then proceed by clicking the ‘Next: Party Details’ button.
- Step 3: Third, On the ‘Party Detail Page,’ you must enter the landlord’s information. Save it, then click the ‘Add: Party Details’ button.
- Step 4: Fourth, On the ‘Party Detail Page,’ you must enter the landlord’s information. Save it, then click the ‘Add: Party Details’ button.
- Step 5: Fifth, Fill in the blanks with witnesses’ information (Identifiers). Click on add identifier and fill out the form again to add the second witness). Next, select ‘Rent & Other Terms’.
- Step 6: Sixth, Now you must provide information about the rental details as well as the terms and conditions agreed upon by both parties. You can pay the stamp duty and registration fees as shown on the page. By clicking on ‘View Draft Document,’ you can view the draught document.
- Step 7: Seventh, Verify the details in the rough draft and, if necessary, make changes to the document.
- Step 8: Eighth, After verification, click on ‘Execute”’.
- Step 9: Ninth, After clicking ‘Execute,’ a new page will open requesting the thumb impressions and photographs of all parties. After entering the information, click the ‘Save’ button.
- Step 10: Tenth,After saving, you must verify the images and thumb prints of the parties and click ‘Admission’.
- Step 11: Eleventh, Now, provide each party’s Aadhaar details and have them verified through eKYC.
- Step 12: Twelfth, Click on ‘Show PDF’, verify all the details and click on ‘Submit’.
- Step 13: Thirteenth, A token key will be generated after you click the submit button. You can use that authenticator key to download the registered agreement as well as the payment receipts.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The cost of the Rent Agreement is nominal for registration in Maharashtra. The stamp duty on lease agreements applies to all Maharashtra cities.The rent agreement registration charges also varies from State to State The Maharashtra rent agreement should be stamped with a stamp duty fee of 0.25% of the total rent for the time period.
Landlords mainly avoid making the Rent Agreement of more than 11 months as rent agreement registration charges in Mumbai are labeled on them. Just to avoid these charges they prefer making an 11 months Agreement.